Monday, October 31, 2016

Meet Lesley Williams and Bonnie Jones-Witthuhn


Lesley Williams has just retired from the River Falls School District and has joined our group this fall.  Here is what she tells us about herself:

"I was born and raised in Louth, which is a small market town on the east coast of England.  I attended Durham University where I met my husband on the first day during a tour of the library!  We both studied Geology, graduating in 1974.  After that I spent a year on a postgraduate teaching program in Newcastle in Northern England.

We came to the USA for four years in 1975 for my husband to complete a PhD at UC Santa Barbara.  Of course nothing goes according to plan and we ended up living in Santa Barbara for seven years.  During that time I worked in a residential program for seriously disturbed youth, which was on the Goleta headlands within yards of the ocean.  It was a great experience and I fell in love with special education.  I completed a MS in Special education in 1980.  During our California years we travelled and camped extensively, completing a six week circle of the USA. We came to River Falls in 1982, never imagining we would stay a lifetime but here we are, having raised two children in this lovely little town.

Professionally I retire after 37 years in teaching, all of it in special education.  My first two placements were in residential treatment with seriously emotionally disturbed children both elementary and high school.   I came to the high school in River Falls in 1987 and worked there for 28 years.  Most of that time was spent teaching students with learning disabilities.  I like working in a team and was lucky enough to be part of two great teams, with two dedicated women for 25 years until they both retired, and then with two new college graduates who reinvigorated me and made me laugh!  I believe we must have a razor sharp focus on life after high school, using the student’s future goals to inform what we do in school.  I also think understanding ones learning style and self-advocacy are vital skills to teach high school students. I still love going in to the high school and working with students but I am so done with all the paperwork and stress.  Retirement is wonderful so far!"



Bonnie Jones-Witthuhn retired this spring from the Prescott School District and not only joined our group, but she is already an officer--and a reluctant thespian in Bernie Brohaugh's recent drama production for our group.  Here is what she says about herself:

"After graduation from United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities, I served as pastor of several United Church of Christ congregations in the greater Milwaukee and Madison areas. During my time in Madison I also completed a Master of Science in Social Work at UW- Madison. Because we moved away from clusters of UCC churches, I spent the next decade sometimes working as a geriatric social worker and sometimes serving as interim pastor, for both requiring some evening and weekend commitments.

Becoming a mom late in life (at age forty), I began to reassess the evening and weekend work associated with serving as a pastor of a local church. Motivated by the idea of working Monday-Friday during the day and no weekends, it seemed like a good idea to complete a teaching degree at our local UW-River Falls. For the past fifteen years I have enjoyed the challenges and benefits of working with the Prescott High School students. Yes, it was a joy to teach AP English classes, but it was also a learning experience with my intelligent but less than motivated students as well as our struggling students. All of them taught me about their view of the world, of their educational needs, and of the possibilities in their lives. Together we stressed that our goal was not just a grade but becoming lifelong learners, of being curious about people and events and life. We cannot know who our students might yet become, and I was committed to competently teach each student to the best of my ability. 

These past fifteen years went fast and furious at times, but I come away from teaching with a sense of contributing to the ongoing life process that moves us from who we have been to who we might yet become."



No comments:

Post a Comment